If you’ve been delaying getting necessary cosmetic dental treatment it’s time to take action. Being self-conscious about your smile is never fun, and it can lead to a variety of issues in daily life. Many people have turned to quality dental care to help them achieve their desire to have a better smile. Even if you don’t see a dentist on a regular basis, you can find one and start taking steps to repair a damaged smile. Chances are there are a variety of choices for dentists in your area, so ask around and read some reviews, see who will best suit your needs. Making the decision to get treatment can difficult, especially for those anxious about visiting a dentist. Fixing your smile doesn’t have to be painful or difficult though, and it’s well worth the investment.
There could be one or more things wrong with your smile causing you to consider cosmetic dental treatment. Many people have dingy or discolored teeth for a variety of reasons. Smoking, drinking tea, soda, or coffee, or eating certain foods can cause teeth to stain. Crooked teeth are another common problem among American adults. Many didn’t ever get braces when they were young, and some did but still need further adjustment. In other, more extreme cases, teeth are rotten or missing and need to be replaced. Disease, injury, or poor dental care could be the cause of these issues. If you’re suffering from any of these issues, cosmetic dentistry is the answer for you.
Don’t let a fear of the dentist holding you back from getting the treatment you need. People are often scared because they are simply uncertain. For that reason, it may help if you understand a little bit about the different treatment options for cosmetic dentistry. To help in that process, we’ve created a list with brief explanations of the more common smile correction treatments available. Hopefully learning about your options will put you at ease before your next visit to the dentist.
- Teeth Whitening – This is a simple and straightforward process that seems to grow more common each year. Teeth that have been stained by years of smoking or drinking particular beverages can see their youthful, bright white sheen restored. To get the full effect it will likely take several procedures, but they are painless and simple. The bleaching process can even often be handled away from the office, and only routine checkups are needed. Professional teeth whitening is much more effective than kits purchased in drug stores. You will notice dramatic effects if you turn to your cosmetic dental professional for teeth whitening.
- Veneers - Porcelain or composite veneers are the perfect solution for individuals suffering from extreme tooth discoloration, usually from injury or root canal treatments. They are also good for those with broken, cracked, or worn tooth, and can even be used for individuals who have slightly misshapen teeth. Veneers can be applied without surgery, usually in just a couple of visits to the office. They are extremely thin shells that fit directly over the teeth. Generally a piece of the enamel is removed so that the veneer can be effectively attached. They last a very long time and are usually a fantastic long-term option.
- Dental Crowns - Crowns can be used to effectively protect at-risk or compromised teeth. They may be used temporarily for restorative purposes after a root canal, or they may be used as a long-term solution. At times a crown may be used to help healthy teeth support an artificial tooth. They provide a natural appearance and can last a very long time. Further more crowns help prevent further decay and prevent breakage in weak teeth.
- Dental Implants - Implants have been rising in popularity, as they look great, are long-lasting, and provide many benefits of a real tooth. Implants are the perfect solution for replacing missing or rotten teeth. There is an implant base that is placed where the root for the damaged or missing tooth was. The implant is then attached to that base. Using a dental implant to replace a missing tooth is effective for quite a few reasons. First of all, cleaning is unaffected, there is no special process. Likewise, eating and drinking in uninterrupted by the implant. In addition, implants feel comfortable in the mouth, most patients forget about them over time. Also, implants don’t affect speech the way some dentures might.
- Invisalign - For misaligned teeth, this is one of the best solutions out there. Not everyone had the opportunity to get braces as a kid, and for obvious reasons not all adults want a mouthful of metal to correct the issue. In extreme cases traditional metal braces may be necessary, but in many cases Invisalign works great. They are clear plastic aligners that are molded to fit your mouth and shift teeth gently into place. One of the best features is that they are removable, so eating and cleaning can continue as normal. They are better noticeable and most people won’t even realize you’re undergoing smile correction treatment! They can be a fantastic solution for many with crooked smiles.
Hopefully knowing a little bit about your treatment options will alleviate some of the concern with seeing a cosmetic dentist. The results will be well-worth the investment!